People often neglect spinal health and wellness. But the truth is, it is one of the most important parts of the body that you should be concerned about because our spine is responsible in transmitting nerves signals to the brain with every action we do connected to it. So how does one take care of their spine? Let me tell you about the four significant things that play an essential part in achieving spinal wellness.
1. Posture is power – Surely this is not the first time that you’ve heard that proper posture is essential in achieving spinal wellness. One can have chronic back pains just by sitting in the wrong position for the whole day. I cannot emphasize more on how important posture should be kept in mind no matter what you are doing: sitting, standing, and especially if you are sleeping.
• If you are standing, make sure not to hunch and stand up straight with shoulder’s out.
• If you are sitting, make sure that your body is in a 90 to 100-degree angle.
• If you are sleeping, make sure your position would not strain a nerve in your neck or shoulder. It would be better to position your arm on your sides while one hand is under a pillow. If possible, purchase a couple of pillows with different thickness that you can use throughout the night.
2. Flexibility and adaptability – If you already hurt your spine or back, what’s the best thing to do? Obviously, if you feel pain, a chiropractic doctor is your best option, so by all means go see one. But if this unfortunate incident happens at the wee hours of the morning or in an unexpected situation, your back should learn to adapt and wait. This is where flexibility and adaptability is needed. Your spine must be strong enough to handle minor accidents and should be flexible enough to adapt to some environmental changes. To gain better flexibility for your back, you may want to learn yoga. Not all yoga variations involve those you might have seen on television where participants twist their bodies in difficult positions, so don’t be afraid to try it out. If you are a beginner, there are simple yoga positions you can do and progress to more complex ones when you are ready. Yoga has very good benefits to the spine, as the exercises develop to help in flexibility and adaptability.
3. Exercise your rights – Exercise is healthy for a person’s wellness and the spine is no exception. Doing sit-ups is one such exercise that is good for your back. Squats are some good back exercises, too. Enrolling in a ballet class to strengthen your back would be beneficial for your back.
4. Stretch further – The last but not the least, start an everyday stretching routine. You have actually seen cats and dogs stretch when they get up, making it a good idea to do it for your back. This is the trick for keeping your back flexible, strong and well supported by the stomach and back muscles.
These four essential tips will definitely help you achieve spinal wellness. However, remember that each person is still different in how his or her body responds to physical activity. You might have to look for a bunch of tips, compile it and work it into your own individual program. Better yet, consult a chiropractor to learn more about spinal care.